Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sweetness

       I had the worst headache a couple days ago.  It was probably once again related to the tension in my neck and also to my medication dosage.  It was a yucky day, or, as that children's book says, a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"!  I had promised my dear husband the night before that I would clean the kitchen and do laundry since it was my day off, but when I finally rolled myself awake at 11 a.m. I felt like I was run over by a bus and nowhere near capable of doing anything productive.  I lazed about, drinking my coffee, watching television, reading my Agatha Christie book... I thought about just going back to sleep for the afternoon.
       My phone rang at about 3 in the afternoon.  Mom wanted to know if she could come over to see me and visit the kittens.  I said a hesitant yes and told her my head was killing me and I hadn't done a thing all day and I still desperately needed to clean the kitchen because almost every single dish we own was dirty.  Her response was, "Oh!  Let me come clean your kitchen!!"  (I was shocked and felt guilty for even mentioning it, but told her to come over anyway, NOT to clean the kitchen though.)
       My dear Mama arrived a little while later with a gift of spaghetti and sourdough french bread "so I would not have to worry about dinner".  She wanted to start immediately on the kitchen until I told her about the knot in my neck and my headache.  Mom worked the knots and kinks out while we sat in front of the living room fire and talked.  We have not had a good visit like that in a long, long time... if ever.

       After the massage we did clean the kitchen...
                                                                                 together.

       My terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day turned into a sweet day overflowing with love and gratitude.  Thanks to my Mama, the kitchen is not desperate this weekend, my headache has dissipated and is almost gone, and I remember how sweet unconditional love feels.

2 comments:

  1. That was so sweet of mom! I'm so glad your day got turned around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...how sweet of you to write about our afternoon together! I treasured the time with you. Even the work was enjoyable, because we were doing it together and it was making you so happy. And I, too, very much enjoyed our chance to converse more deeply than we usually are able! Thank you for gifting me with this time with you.

    ReplyDelete

High praise: people taking time to read my writing.
Highest compliment: taking the extra time to comment.