Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Let it be Autumn!

Have you noticed how some people call this season Autumn while others call it Fall?  I am not sure if one term is more proper than the other, or if it makes any difference.

Each of these words paints an entirely different picture.  Fall brings to mind the cold, blustery days, warm coats, frost on windshields, darkness coming early and back-to-school times.  Fall is about change and getting back down to business.  Not a bad thing, but somewhat drab and unimaginative.  On the other end of the spectrum, the word Autumn strikes a different chord in me.  I remember the glorious changing foliage, the beauty of crunching leaves underfoot, fresh apples and cider, fires in fireplaces and Thanksgiving.

I have been living in Fall.  The drabness in my heart has been clouding me from seeing the glorious changing foliage and hearing the leaves crunch.  I want to see and feel the beauty, to hear the geese and watch the floating leaves.  I long to bask in the fire's warmth, look forward to Thanksgiving and be excited for Christmas just around the bend.  I want to live in Autumn again.

I suppose the first step in changing things is noticing a need for change.  Perhaps this is that first step.  Perhaps tomorrow will be different.
May tomorrow be my first day of Autumn!

If not, don't fret, I will simply try again.

1 comment:

  1. I know just what you mean. Exactly. We are alike in so many ways. I hope you lived in autumn today. =) I love you sis.

    ReplyDelete

High praise: people taking time to read my writing.
Highest compliment: taking the extra time to comment.